Sweet and sour chicken is another sumptuous Indo-chinese dish, where marinated and deep fried chicken chunks are tossed along with veggies in a sweet and sour sauce base.
It’s ready in a jiffy, and is so much better and healthier to prepare at home rather than takeout.The Chinese-American sweet and sour chicken, is usually served in a different way, the deep fried coated chicken chunks are served with the sweet and sour sauce separately. I’m so accustomed to eating the Indo-Chinese version, hence prefer it more, just the sight of the fried chicken cubes and veggies glazed with all that sauce, makes it even more appetizing 😀 I shallow fried the chicken instead of deep frying. You may deep fry if you wish to do so.
Please do have all your ingredients prepped up before you set out to cook this dish, as it comes together in a matter of minutes, and you don’t want anything burning or sticking to the pan.
For a vegetarian version , replace chicken with paneer/ extra firmtofu. You may add them directly to the sauce, without frying.
1 lb chicken thighs/breast , cut into 1 inch cubes
1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
1/4 cup cornflour
salt and pepper to season
For the sauce:
1 & 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
1 & 1/2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
1/2 cup tomato ketchup
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 to 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar, adjust as per your preference
1 to 2 tablespoons sugar, adjust as per desired sweetness
1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce or any other hot sauce
1 tablespoon cornflour
1/2 cup water
1 cup red onions, quartered , separate onion layers.
1 cup chopped (1 inch cubes) colored bell peppers
2 pineapple slices, cut into chunks
oil, as required for frying
- Marinate the chopped chicken cubes with ginger garlic paste, cornflour, salt and pepper. Mix well , cover and set aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Cut the onions, and bell peppers into 1 inch cubes, set aside. Also cut the pineapple slices into small chunks.
- In a wok, heat oil, saute onions on medium heat, for about a minute. Remove in a plate and set aside.
- Add bell peppers, saute for another minute on medium heat. Set aside.
- Next, add marinated chicken in batches , don’t overcrowd the wok. Fry on medium heat until golden brown. Drain on an absorbent paper napkin, set aside.
- To prepare the sauce, in the same wok, remove excess oil, keeping only about 1 tablespoon of oil. Add ginger garlic and saute on medium heat until fragrant.
- Next, add the ketchup, pineapple juice, vinegar, hot sauce and sugar, mix well. Bring to a boil.
- In the meantime, dissolve 1 tablespoon cornflour in about 1/2 cup cold water. Add this to the wok, keep stirring continuously until the sauce thickens.
- Now add the sauteed veggies , pineapple chunks and chicken pieces. Toss to coat well with the sauce. Serve hot with noodles/ steamed rice or with fried rice 😀
You can adjust the consistency of the sauce as per your preference, add more or less cornflour accordingly.
I would love to hear from you , please feel free to share your feedback with photos and suggestions to me at aromaticessence77@