Schezwan potatoes is a delicious, hot and tangy Indo Chinese dish. Like most Indo Chinese dishes, it hardly takes much time for this dish to come together. Prepping up your ingredients is the key! Here, boiled and fried baby potatoes are tossed in a schezwan sauce base and of course much easier if you have the sauce already which is the main ingredient here. I love to prepare this schezwan sauce in a big batch and store it, when I run out of ideas or I want quick meals, this is a life saver. I highly recommend you have one in your pantry, or if you’re too lazy to make your own , go ahead and get a good quality store bought one 🙂
Today I’ve shallow fried the baby potatoes after boiling them. If you have a lot of time on hand then you can bake them by coating the boiled potatoes with little oil at 400 degrees F for about 30 minutes until the skin is golden brown. And if you don’t mind the calories, you may deep fry them too. I served these potatoes with some fried rice, it made for a delicious vegetarian meal 🙂 You can use chicken /paneer/ tofu as well. Coat them in a cornflour batter, fry and dunk them in the sauce! So good!
This is a lovely appetizer to serve for a party, or add some more cornflour slurry to make a gravy dish. It will be delicious either ways.
16 baby potatoes
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1-2 fresh red chillies, finely chopped ( optional )
1/2 cup chopped onions
3 tablespoon schezwan sauce , adjust as per desired spice
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 tablespoon cornflour mixed in 1/2 cup water
salt to taste, as required.
- Boil potatoes with enough salt until fork tender. Let them cool, peel the skin, prick all over with a fork, and shallow/deep fry / bake them until golden brown.
- Heat oil in a wok, add finely minced ginger, garlic and fresh red chillies. Saute until ginger garlic are aromatic.
- Next add in chopped onions, saute until translucent.
- Add schezwan sauce and sugar.
- Mix well, saute for a minute.
- Add the cornflour slurry.
- Mix well until the mixture has thickened and glossy.
- Finally add the potatoes , toss them in the sauce so they are well coated. Sprinkle with scallion/spring onion greens. Serve hot with fried rice/ hakka noodles.
I would love to hear from you , please feel free to share your feedback with photos and suggestions to me at aromaticessence77@
Have a wonderful week ahead! Thanks for stopping by!