This Mediterranean quinoa & chickpea salad is quick, easy, light, filling, protein-rich, and delicious!
Hi guys! Hope you had a lovely weekend :)Today’s post happens to be the 200th post on my blog, a tiny space in the wide web world. But it is a little milestone for me, nonetheless.
Usually, I tend to lean towards sharing a dessert for such little occasions, but I thought I’d change that up. So this time around, I have this super healthy, protein-rich Mediterranean Quinoa & Chickpea salad to share with you. And with this post, I’m also pleased that quinoa has made an appearance on my blog.
I didn’t take a liking to quinoa the first time I tasted it, probably because I did not cook it right. So, I simply forgot about this seed and moved on.
I picked up this bag of frozen quinoa and chickpea salad on a whim and partly also to try quinoa again. We all know how nutritious this superfood is!! Giving it a go the second time around wouldn’t hurt, right? And I’m glad I did, I loved that salad, it was wholesome and delicious. Made me a quinoa-loving convert in an instant 🙂
Since I enjoyed that salad so much, I thought I’d recreate it at home and infuse some Mediterranean elements. I usually have most things in my pantry except for the Feta cheese. I even had a packet of quinoa sitting there, untouched, begging to be used! These cherry tomatoes are from our very own tiny little garden. Using fresh home produce just adds a little extra to any dish. Don’t you think too?
I love the crunch from the veggies, saltiness from the feta and kalamata olives, the sweetness from the cherry tomatoes, a bite from the creamy chickpeas and a simple homemade dressing that ties all of this together! We just make a meal out of it or sometimes have it as a side with some grilled chicken.
You can add more or less of the veggies, as you fancy. But there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t be trying this. This Mediterranean quinoa & chickpea salad is definitely making more rounds on our table 🙂
To cook quinoa-
- 1 cup of dry quinoa yields 3 cups of cooked quinoa. You will need a 1:2 ratio of quinoa to liquid, i.e. liquid has to be double the amount of quinoa, it is just like cooking rice.
- You can use 2 cups of cooked quinoa for this recipe and refrigerate the remaining quinoa in an air-tight container up to 3 days. Use it in breakfast porridges, stir-fries, smoothies or croquettes etc.
Or use the following measures to make 2 cups of cooked quinoa-
- Measure 2/3 cup dry quinoa, place it in a fine-mesh strainer, rinse under running water to remove the bitter flavor. (Most quinoa available commercially is often pre-rinsed, still it is a good idea to rinse it).
- Place the drained quinoa along with 320 ml (1 & 1/3 cups) water in a saucepan, bring to a boil, add 1/8 teaspoon of salt. You can also add dried herbs like oregano, basil, parsley, or a smashed garlic etc at this stage for additional flavor. Give it a quick mix, turn the heat to medium-low, cover the saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, fluff it with a fork, remove it from the pot, let it cool for few minutes and use as directed in the recipe.
Step by step instructions
1.Mix all the salad ingredients in a sufficiently large bowl.
2.Top with the prepared dressing, toss well to combine. Serve right away or refrigerate and serve later.
Measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml , 1 tsp = 5 ml
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1,15 oz canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1.5 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1.5 cup diced, peeled cucumber, about 1/2 an English cucumber
- 10-12 olives, pitted, drained, and sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onions
- 1/2 cup loosely packed chopped cilantro/parsley/basil
- 1 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp orange juice (optional)
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano, crushed between your palms
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
- Mix all the salad ingredients in a sufficiently large bowl.
- Top with the prepared dressing, toss well to combine. Serve right away or refrigerate and serve later.
You may also like these salads-
Pin for later
I would love to hear from you, please feel free to share your feedback with photos and suggestions to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also follow me on :
Facebook @ Aromaticessence
Pinterest @ Aromatic Essence
Instagram @ aromatic_essence77
Twitter @ freda_dias
Have a lovely week ahead!